minitest version 5.0.5 has been released!
Published 2013-06-20 @ 17:36
minitest provides a complete suite of testing facilities supporting TDD, BDD, mocking, and benchmarking.
"I had a class with Jim Weirich on testing last week and we were allowed to choose our testing frameworks. Kirk Haines and I were paired up and we cracked open the code for a few test frameworks... I MUST say that minitest is *very* readable / understandable compared to the 'other two' options we looked at. Nicely done and thank you for helping us keep our mental sanity." -- Wayne E. Seguin
minitest/unit is a small and incredibly fast unit testing framework. It provides a rich set of assertions to make your tests clean and readable.
minitest/spec is a functionally complete spec engine. It hooks onto minitest/unit and seamlessly bridges test assertions over to spec expectations.
minitest/benchmark is an awesome way to assert the performance of your algorithms in a repeatable manner. Now you can assert that your newb co-worker doesn’t replace your linear algorithm with an exponential one!
minitest/mock by Steven Baker, is a beautifully tiny mock (and stub) object framework.
minitest/pride shows pride in testing and adds coloring to your test output. I guess it is an example of how to write IO pipes too. :P
minitest/unit is meant to have a clean implementation for language implementors that need a minimal set of methods to bootstrap a working test suite. For example, there is no magic involved for test-case discovery.
"Again, I can't praise enough the idea of a testing/specing framework that I can actually read in full in one sitting!" -- Piotr Szotkowski
Comparing to rspec:
rspec is a testing DSL. minitest is ruby. -- Adam Hawkins, "Bow Before MiniTest"
minitest doesn’t reinvent anything that ruby already provides, like: classes, modules, inheritance, methods. This means you only have to learn ruby to use minitest and all of your regular OO practices like extract-method refactorings still apply.
5.0.5 / 2013-06-20
6 bug fixes:
- DOH! Fixed the rest of the new casing on Minitest. (splattael)
- Fixed typo on minitest/mock rdoc. (mrgilman/guiceolin)
- Make Spec::DSL.describe_stack thread local to avoid failing on my own tests.
- Make a fake Time.now local to the tests so they won’t interfere with real reporter timings.
- Make everything mockable by wrapping all ‘special’ methods in a smarter wrapper. (bestie)
- Raise ArgumentError if let name starts with ‘test’. (johnmaxwell)
- vim: https://github.com/sunaku/vim-ruby-minitest
- home: https://github.com/seattlerb/minitest
- rdoc: http://docs.seattlerb.org/minitest